2015年8月20日 星期四

Burgundy (French: Bourgogne)


 趙元任 忘記英文 Burgundy (French: Bourgogne)而沒機會免費喝美酒的故事

I have cited many instances where I went wrong in matters of language. Now I want to tell about the time when I made a mistake by being too correct. I am fond of a red wine known in Enghsh as Burgundy. But I wasn't too sure where Burgundy was located - what city or province it might be and in what country. After we drove from Switzerland into French territory we stopped in Dijon, the capital city of the province of Bourgogne. When we walked into a hotel we noticed many people standing around a barrel in the lobby and drinking glass after glass from it. I didn't pay much attention to this and pretty soon we went out to eat at a restaurant. We had my favourite red wine for dinner, which was of course billed separately. When we got back to the hotel I discovered that what the people were drinking from that barrel was this very same Burgundy wine. It was served free, gratis, and on the house. It turned out that Dijon is the capital city of the wine-producing Burgundy region. I had only known the province by its French name Bourgogne, without knowing that Bourgogne is none other than my old English friend Burgundy. For just this once, my knowledge of French did not serve me well in France!
https://www.cuhk.edu.hk/rct/pdf/e_outputs/b01/v01p015.pdf 回想我在語言上犯過的錯誤(趙元任)Where I Went Wrong in Matters of Language BY Yuen Ren Chao Translated by George Kao
This article is translated from a radio script which
Dr. Chao wrote and recorded in May 1972 for
broadcast by the Chinese-language series of the
Voice of America.


Burgundy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgundy
Burgundy (French: Bourgogne, IPA: [buʁ.ɡɔɲ] ( listen)) is an administrative and historical region of east-central France. Burgundy comprises the following four ...

Bourgogne in France.svg
Country France
PrefectureDijon

沒有留言:

網誌存檔